Child custody arrangements are a particularly sensitive and pivotal aspect of family law. As life’s circumstances change, the custody arrangements may need modification. At LaFountain & Wollman, we regularly advise clients on child custody modifications, offering compassionate representation and objective insights. When you become our client, we will prioritize your child’s best interests and work to protect your parental rights.
Given the legal complexities involved in child custody modifications, having an advocate and an ally can make all the difference. Backed by years of experience, we are committed to offering trustworthy advice and counsel. Call today to get started with an experienced child custody attorney.
About Child Custody Modifications in Massachusetts
Child custody modifications are legal alterations to existing child custody agreements. These are significant changes that redefine the terms under which a parent or guardian interacts with and cares for the child and can directly impact living conditions and visitation rights. Reasons to seek child custody modifications include:
- A change in a parent’s job or financial situation
- Relocation to a new city or state
- Educational, health, or social needs of the child
- Concerns about the child’s safety or well-being in their current environment
- Mutual agreement between parents based on the child’s expressed preferences as they mature
Whatever the reason, the primary objective of modifying child custody orders is to ensure the best possible environment and care for the child. You can trust our experienced child custody attorney to guide you through the modification process.
Legal Grounds for Requesting a Modification
Child custody orders cannot be modified merely because a parent is dissatisfied with the arrangements. The courts in Massachusetts recognize several grounds for modifying child custody, including:
- Significant change in circumstances, such as a change in financial status, job loss, or other significant life event.
- The current custody arrangement no longer serves the child’s best interests
- Mutual agreement between parents to modify the existing custody agreement.
- Endangerment or safety concerns if a child is believed to be in danger or exposed to harm, the courts will prioritize their safety and consider modifying the arrangement.
- One parent consistently violates or neglects the stipulations of the current custody order
When considering child custody modifications, the courts weigh these grounds against the children’s best interests. The court’s primary concern is the ensure the children’s well-being and safety.
Proving a Significant Change in Circumstances
To modify a child custody arrangement, you must demonstrate (1) a significant change in circumstances since the original order was established and (2) the original terms no longer serve the child’s best interest. The following circumstances may warrant a child custody modification:
- Job loss or promotion – Changes in a parent’s financial situation can adversely or positively impact their provide for the child.
- Relocation – A parent’s need to move for work or personal reasons, especially if the move is long-distance, can necessitate a child custody modification.
- Health changes – A severe illness, injury, or disability can affect a parent’s ability to provide consistent care.
- Change in child’s needs – Children’s educational, health, and social requirements change over time, which may require a modified custody arrangement or visitation schedule.
Other significant life events, such as remarriage, new siblings, or changes in the home environment may also be valid reasons to modify a child custody order. The courts will closely examine any claims to ensure a modification is warranted. Our attorneys have the skills and experience to present a compelling case and advocate for changes that support your child’s best interests.
Why Choose Us?
Child custody issues are the most sensitive aspect of family law, requiring a compassionate, nuanced approach. At LaFountain & Wollman, we have successfully handled the most challenging custody cases, helping clients obtain modifications that serve the best interests of their children. We have in-depth knowledge of the applicable laws as well as court preferences, tailoring our strategy to the unique circumstances of each case.
When you partner with us, you will have comfort in knowing that we have successfully represented many parents in situations similar to yours. Our child custody attorneys know that every case involves families facing their most personal and pressing challenges.
We will listen intently to your concerns and then address those concerns by tailoring our strategy to your unique circumstances. You can depend on us to advocate for you and your child through skillful negotiation, and if necessary, aggressive courtroom representation. Above all, we will work to achieve the best possible outcome for you and your child.
Contact Our Experienced Child Custody Modification Attorney
At LaFountain & Wollman, we are highly regarded for resolving the most challenging custody issues. Call today to learn how we can help with your child custody modification.