From business formation to transactions and litigation, we offer proactive solutions to mitigate risks and provide assertive courtroom representation when necessary.
Our firm is known for its business-savvy legal professionals who deliver dependable advice and cost-effective services. We take the time to deeply understand your business and assist you in achieving your objectives. If you’re looking for legal guidance in Massachusetts, contact us for a consultation today.
Business Law Services Our Firm Offers
Operating any type of business is challenging. From choosing the right business entity and engaging in successful transactions to resolving disputes, having informed legal representation is essential. Our services encompass:
Business Formation and Startup Services
Launching a new business venture in Massachusetts requires more than selecting the right business entity; it demands a strategic approach and meticulous planning. At LaFountain & Wollman, our seasoned business law attorneys understand that success begins with a solid foundation. We advise entrepreneurs and startups on selecting and forming business entities such as:
- C-corp and S-corp
- Limited liability company (LLC)
- Joint ventures
Our guidance extends beyond the mere selection of a business structure; we assist in choosing a unique and compliant business name, preparing foundational documents like articles of incorporation, bylaws, and resolutions, and assisting with permitting and licensing. With our comprehensive support, you can be confident knowing that your business’s legal foundation is secure and aligned with your long-term goals.
Successful business transactions are often the lifeblood of a thriving enterprise. Our legal team regularly advises businesses on a wide range of transactions and excels in negotiating and drafting critical agreements such as:
- Stock purchase agreements
- Asset purchase agreements
- Operating agreements
- Partnership agreements
- Shareholder agreements
- Buy-sell agreements
- Employment agreements
- Noncompete and nondisclosure agreements
- Corporate governance documents
We understand that well-conceived business agreements are pivotal in avoiding disputes, safeguarding your interests, and facilitating successful transactions.
Whether your business is providing client services, engaging in commercial transactions, forming alliances, or securing financing, we offer guidance on a wide range of commercial agreements, including:
- Customer-facing agreements
- Consulting agreements
- Loan and lease agreements
- Master service agreements
- Master software agreements
- Joint venture agreements
- Vendor agreements
We also advise on financing arrangements and assess potential legal risks to protect your interests.
Our Massachusetts business law attorneys prosecute and defend business litigation arising from:
- Breach of contract
- Misrepresentation and fraud
- Business collections
- Employment disputes
- Insurance disputes
- Partnership disputes
- Shareholder disputes
- Business sales/dissolution
We initially seek amicable resolutions through negotiation, while simultaneously preparing each case for trial. This dual-focused strategy ensures that our clients are robustly represented and equipped to navigate both negotiations and courtroom proceedings effectively. Our commitment is to provide actional advice to protect your business in every scenario.
Business Succession Planning
At LaFountain & Wollman, we recognize the critical importance of planning for the future of your business. Our dedicated attorneys collaborate closely with clients to develop business succession plans as part of a comprehensive estate planning strategy.
We guide clients in selecting potential successors, establishing clear operating guidelines, determining your business’s value, and preparing buy/sell agreements. We regularly collaborate with skilled business accountants, appraisers, and financial professionals to ensure precise valuations and the preservation of your legacy.
By incorporating business succession planning into your estate plan, we ensure a seamless transition of your business affairs. This integration is vital for entrepreneurs and business owners, as it provides a structured plan for the future governance of your business within the broader context of your estate. Our approach will protect your personal and professional legacies and provide you and your successors peace of mind.
Corporate Governance Matters
Corporate executives and managers must navigate myriad complex rules and regulations. We counsel clients on a wide range of corporate governance matters, including
- Internal controls – implementing policies and procedures to ensure the integrity of financial and accounting information.
- Oversight – guiding boards and executive teams on their responsibilities and functions of boards and executive teams.
- Ethics codes – developing and enforcing ethical standards and practices within the organization.
- Fiduciary duties – advising corporate officers and directors on their legal obligation to act in the best interests of shareholders.
- Risk management – identifying, assessing, and mitigating business risks.
- D&O indemnification – handling issues related to the protection of directors and officers from personal liability.
- Insurance issues – navigating insurance policies and coverage related to corporate governance.
- Shareholder demands – addressing and resolving shareholder concerns and demands.
- Conflicts of interest – identifying and managing potential conflicts of interest among stakeholders.
- Regulatory compliance – ensuring adherence to all relevant laws and regulations.
- Public disclosures – Guiding the preparation and dissemination of public statements and disclosures.
Our team is dedicated to providing innovative governance solutions tailored to your unique needs. We focus on mitigating risks and fostering a culture of ethical standards, helping you maintain the integrity of your business while navigating the complexities of corporate governance. Our approach is not just about compliance, but about creating a framework that enhances the overall governance structure of your organization, thereby promoting a robust, transparent, and accountable corporate environment.
General Counsel Services
Our firm offers outside general counsel services for day-to-day legal matters, including operational issues, financing, state/federal tax planning, employee benefits, risk management, and dispute resolution. We always prioritize your best interests to help you achieve your business goals.
Contact Our Experienced Massachusetts Business Lawyers
With LaFountain & Wollman, you’ll receive strategic representation and personalized attention from savvy business law attorneys. Contact our office today for a consultation and take the next step towards success.